Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Tori Amos (part 6) - Strange little girls



Album # 6 is a concept and cover album, in which Tori sings 12 songs originally written & sang by men, reinterpreted to a woman’s point of view. As such, one may like the original better over Tori’s, or the other way around… let’s see one by one what I have to say.

Lou Reed’s ‘’new age’’ relates to new beginnings. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t go wow this is great, either. It gets a passable 6/10.

Eminem’s ‘’97 Bonnie & Clyde’’ Tori had the guts to sing this really disturbing piece, gives me the creeps and reminds me why I NEVER want to listen to Eminem, a horrible man, in my opinion… score is 8 because Tori sings it very well, but I won’t just chose listen to it, it’s too much.

the Stranglers’ ‘’strange little girl’’ is well done, score 8.

Depeche Mode’s ‘’enjoy the silence’’ is one of two original songs I knew, and which I absolutely love. Tori’s version is a bit too flat, in my opinion, and doesn’t live up to the power the original has. My score is a passable 6.

10cc’s ‘’I’m not in love’’ was quite entertaining and gets an 8, well done here.

Lloyd Cole’s ‘’rattlesnakes’’ is the true gem of this album, excellently and beautifully sang and played, it’s the only song I give the perfect score of 10.

Tom Waits’ ‘’time’’ got an 8 upon first listen, but on the second I found it duller and had to reduce my appreciation of it to a passable 6. It’s probably much higher than what I’d give Tom himself, I believe, from what Bonnie told me about his voice…

Neil Young’s ‘’heart of gold’’ is the second original song I knew prior to listening to this cover… and I have to say ‘’omg, TORI, why did you have to kill this song like this ?! couldn’t you sing it… with your sweeter voice with a melody to accompany it ??’’… this is the first .. 0 (as in zero) score I feel I must give to this utter destruction…

Boomtown rats’ ‘’I don’t like Mondays’’ received a 7 upon first listen, and here again, at second I found it a bit dull, afterall, as the lyrics just didn’t move that much, and the score got lowered to 6, once again.

‘’Happiness is a warm gun’’, I hated this one, just hated, and then I saw it was originally a Beatles song, a band which I still cannot listen to, they give me agita, sorry to all the fans out there. Score is…did you guess the 0?

Slayer’s ‘’raining blood’’ is the only song which I liked better on second listen, it got a raised score from 7 to 8. Very well done, tho I do wonder what the original song sounds like now…

Joe Jackson’s ‘’real men’’ is the last song, and it’s 7 score from first listen got lowered to 6 as during second listen I noticed, it doesn’t totally move me.

I liked 9 songs out of the 12 (I cannot count eminem’s horrible lyrics), with total scores of 75% of the songs, and a 71 points out of max 120 yields a 59% total score. Just over the medium. Not a cd I’d play often, nonetheless, I prefer a few of Tori’s other records. Good effort and idea to make this piece of art, which doesn’t completely grab me.




Here's a track listing, for easier reading : 


1. "New Age" (originally performed by The Velvet Underground) Lou Reed 4:37
2. "'97 Bonnie & Clyde" (originally performed by Eminem) Marshall Mathers, Jeff Bass, Mark Bass 5:46
3. "Strange Little Girl" (originally performed by The Stranglers) Brian Duffy, Dave Greenfield, Hans Wärmling, Hugh Cornwell, Jean-Jacques Burnel 3:50
4. "Enjoy the Silence" (originally performed by Depeche Mode) Martin Gore 4:10
5. "I'm Not in Love" (originally performed by 10cc) Eric Stewart, Graham Gouldman 5:39
6. "Rattlesnakes" (originally performed by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions) Lloyd Cole, Neil Clark 3:59
7. "Time" (originally performed by Tom Waits) Tom Waits 5:23
8. "Heart of Gold" (originally performed by Neil Young) Neil Young 4:00
9. "I Don't Like Mondays" (originally performed by The Boomtown Rats) Bob Geldof 4:21
10. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (originally performed by The Beatles) John Lennon, Paul McCartney 9:55
11. "Raining Blood" (originally performed by Slayer) Jeff Hanneman, Kerry King 6:22
12. "Real Men" (originally performed by Joe Jackson) Joe Jackson 4:07

No comments:

Post a Comment