Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Pet Shop Boys (album 1) - Please

The Pet Shop Boys's first album was recorded in 1984-85 and released on 24th of March 1986. It includes their first 4 hits:

  • West end girls 
  • Opportunities (let's make lots of money) 
  • Love comes quickly 
  • Suburbia



I have both the normal version of this album- comprised of 11 songs, as well as the 2001 re-release ''Further listening', which includes 2 cds. The First is the normal album, with remastered sound. As I listened to this album just yesterday, I noted a few new notes I never noticed before. I don't know if it's just that my ears, or the new hifi system - or if these sounds are actually in the remaster only. I'll have to listen more closely.

The second cd comprises 13 tracks : remixes and b-sides which appeared on the singles of the 4 aforementioned hits. However, some of them are slightly different than the maxi single - or their later b-side collection (Alternative), so having this edition (if you can find it, as their Further listening albums are a bit more rare now) wouldn't be an exact duplicate of those other cd's with the same titles. 

As you can see, the front cover for this edition shrunk the image of the original release, and the back cover lists the tracks. 




I love all the songs on this album, but although the short ''Opportunities (reprise)'' isn't exactly a song : it's a mere 33 seconds instrumental portion of track 3 and somewhat superfluous. 

I love the PSB's originality. Two divided by zero has computer sounds, whilst the album's synthesizers are omnipresent and offer good rhythms to dance to - with the exceptions of Violence, and Later tonight.  

Of note, a few months after Please's release, PSB released Disco, which is comprised of 6 songs, 4 from Please and 2 from b-sides. 
Disco remixes them all and extends their duration from medium 4 minutes up to 9. More on that, in the next PSB entry. 

In case you are wondering, since I love all the main album songs, why only 8*? My answer is that at moments I find the 1986 synths have started to show their age a bit, and I do find 1 track superfluous (I did mention that). 


Don't get me wrong, though : I enjoy this album, but I do find that many albums have surpassed it - which has to show with the score, right?

Instruments include:
 Bass Guitar, Drums, Effects, Electric Piano, Electronic drums, Electronic piano, Guitar, Keyboard,  Piano, Saxophone, Sequencers, Synthesizer


No comments:

Post a Comment