Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Pink Floyd (album 14) - The division bell


It has been said that the Pink Floyd's 14th album was pale in comparison to their albums from the late 1960's to early 1980's. I've read reviews that were very harsh against this album, because 2 members of the band had left it and that the remaining was a bit boring, or badly written or that the music was less melodious or too long, etc etc etc 

Ok, maybe i'm not a professional critic, I never pretended to be one. Maybe it's a lesser album than the ones considered Floyd's masterpieces - i'll  grant this possibility on the technical level.

However, I discovered this band with this album as i entered my 20's. My mother was a fan, but I wasn't open-minded, musically speaking, to listen to their 1960-70 period, which is one that I didn't tend to like at all. 



Therefore, for many years it was the only album that I liked and once I opened up and listened to a few others, this was my favorite. I personally prefer this quieter, more atmospheric album and a few months ago bought it's 20th anniversary box set - a lot cheaper than its catalog price as it was on a massive sale.




This set contains the album on various formats :
  • Double LP 180g Vinyle, 
  • CD 
  • & digital download in HD & 320kbs 
all in stereo, remastered sound. 
  • Bluray disc with stereo as well as 5.1 mixes in PCM & DTS. This mix is very well done, and I listen to it on 7 channel stereo setting of my hifi and I love the atmospheric surrounding sound a lot. This disc also has a documentary film, produced in 2014 and which I haven't watched yet, called Marooned (just like one of the song titles).
Also included in this box set:

  • 3 vinyle singles : Take it back & High Hopes (in 7'') and High hopes with keep talking (12''). 
  • 5 collector's prints & 24-page lyric booklet
  • Full colored poster (printed on both sides) 
Track listing :
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Cluster One(Instrumental)David GilmourRichard Wright5:58
2."What Do You Want from Me"  Gilmour, Wright, Polly Samson4:21
3."Poles Apart"  Gilmour, Samson, Nick Laird-Clowes7:04
4."Marooned(Instrumental)Gilmour, Wright5:29
5."A Great Day for Freedom"  Gilmour, Samson4:17
6."Wearing the Inside Out(Lead vocals: Wright, Gilmour)Wright, Anthony Moore6:49
7."Take It Back"  Gilmour, Samson, Laird-Clowes, Bob Ezrin6:12
8."Coming Back to Life"  Gilmour6:19
9."Keep Talking"  Gilmour, Wright, Samson6:11
10."Lost for Words"  Gilmour, Samson5:14
11."High Hopes"  Gilmour, Samson8:31
Total length:
66:32

Note : the original LP version lasted 58:17

Ever since I learned about the band's breakup and subsequent legal battles, I've wondered if the album title doesn't reflect the divisions and fights the members had over the years, but I'm not sure if I can find that information.


Either case, I do listen to this album quite regularly. My 10* score represents the fact that I never skip any song and like listening and I'll reiterate that this isn't a neither technical nor professional review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment