Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

North by Northwest soundtrack



Hitchcock's North by Northwest is one of my favorite Hitch movies. Today I discuss the movie soundtrack. 

It's engaging as a movie-accompaniment, in what I think the best Hitchcock soundtrack that there is. Hermann's music is engaging, full of suspense and actions, of mystery and romance. However, aside the great ouverture, I never listened to the full soundtrack alone, without the movie, as I don't own any of the CD versions, and youtube has only a few pieces. 
I may borrow the cd from our library, or buy the most affordable and complete version that I can get. 



The most complete edition presents 50 short tracks of the full soundtrack , plus outtakes, all remastered in stereo as announced. The total duration is just over 65 minutes. 
There are multiple EAN's
0886976384227
081227210120
724383602520 by TCM, and marketted by EMI. Or Premiere Soundtracks & TCM.

 This is the image I used for the entry. It

If you've seen the movie, the track titles won't surprise you, but if you never did, I'l suggest you don't click on this small image to see it bigger, as they may slightly spoil the effect.





Other editions exist, and I find it a bit hard to track and compare them all. Most seem to have only 12-18 tracks, albeit longer than the ones in the above edition, as tracks correspond to several movie chapters. But, seen their total durations are slightly over half an hour, I think to settle on this current 50-track edition myself.

If the Intrada special collection version weren't so expensive (55£!) I'd actually consider that one. It proposes 23+5 extra tracks (so 56 to 69 minutes), with longer tracks than those in the above CD, comprising 2 or more chapters into one track, and thus instead of 50 tracks, we have a slightly longer CD and fewer tracks. 








If you want to compare side by the side the track listing, I'll direct you to discogs where I get my information. BTW, the Intrada collection has a wrong barecode/EAN, which sends to Jaws' soundtrack instead. TCM/Sony version above

2 comments:

  1. Admittedly I’ve never watched this film, although I know Hitchcock was quite a master in his field for artistic cinema! I’ll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my favorite! though I do have to set aside the bad man that he was, and the good artist that he usually was, or else, I'd never watch anything for a number of reasons

    ReplyDelete