Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2016

Kate Havnevik (part 0)



I discovered Kate Havnevik as a guest on Schiller's Atemlos Live, the first concert that I listened to, by this German project. As I loved each of her guest songs on his albums and lives, I searched for Kate's own solo material, which seems to be difficult to come by.

Indeed, this delightfully quirky singer and songwriter was born in Oslo, Noway, and her cds don't seem to get international releases - except for her first album Melankton, released in 2006 and which has several editions, all with the same cover and mostly same track listing, give or take a song...



Her other albums appear to be available only in download format on amazon and itunes; her second ''You'' has supposedly a CD format... only in Norway, which I cannot find anywhere in France.

I cannot locate physical cds for her Ep's and singles, which might be available in the USA but the prices aren't interesting at all as shipping alone is prohibitif nowadays...

I found her official website's shop does sell these albums both as download and cd as well as other items. I'll have to research this better - for instance, shipping fees to France, if they are even proposed.

I'd qualify her music original, sometimes almost as much as Bjork, but with a much sweeter voice, and more ''radio friendly'' for most songs.
Funny, her producer Guy Sigowrth has worked with Bjork...

Her music was featured on tv shows (grey's anatomy, the O.C and the west wing), and she also wrote, composed and produced 7 tracks for a Norwegian movie which was released in her home country in 2013.


I watched the videoclip she made using a computer software for Emperor of nowhere ; it's very original and shot in black & white, showing her painted figure singing and animating as the song progresses...












I loved the unique sounds she employs in her songs ; thus far, I cannot think of a single song that I dislike, and applaud her inventiveness and creativity.

I loose myself in her voice and melodies alike, and can find that I'd forgotten to finish a task that I'd started prior to launching the cd (melankton) or various clips on youtube...


Unfortunately for me, I cannot carry a tune, and cannot follow to sing along with Kate's solo songs... in spite of the urge I get just like for a few other musicians that I love. I manage, however, to do so for her guest songs on Schiller's albums and live concerts (not that I can carry the tune that well, but I cannot stop myself from singing, especially if am alone in the room...)




She has posted a few funny vlogs on youtube, which I didn't find too informative, except a trip she took to India where she found local instruments she used.











Discography :

Albums 
  • ·        Melankton (2006)
  • ·        You (2011)
  • ·        Residue (2014)[3]
  • ·        &i (2015)[4]


Eps :  
  • Me (2006)
  • Disobey (2011)


Singles: 
  • Unlike me (2006)
  • Show me love (2009)
  • Mouth 2 mouth (2011)




No comments:

Post a Comment